The Disability Empowerment Center now offers Case Management services specifically for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community (services previously offered by DHHS Lancaster) with the goal of breaking through the barriers to Independent Living for individuals with hearing loss.
A DEC Case Manager will provide general guidance to persons whose ability to maneuver through life situations has been challenged due to partial or complete loss of hearing. These situations may range from routine to life threatening. The Case Manager will strive to resolve these situations within defined parameters to achieve the best possible outcome for the Consumer.
**DEC also has two Sorenson VP. One for our staff and one for DEC Consumers to use. Contact DEC for more information.**
To call on the Sorenson VP, call (717) 208-8593
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Case Management includes:
- On-site Case Manager fluent in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Goal and progress tracking
Examples of Services Covered:
- Accessing social services
- American Sign Language training and classes
- Assistive Devices
- Budget planning
- Crisis Intervention
- Deaf Education
- Employment leads
- English Instruction
- Health care access
- Interpreter information
- Legal referral
- Life skills training
- Personal and marital
- Phone Calls, Fax, Letters
- Public Relations
- Rights of Deaf Children
- Social opportunities
- and Transportation.
Areas of Service Include:
- Routine Assistance: Providing guidance to Consumers encountering difficulty with routine life situations, examples of which could include filling out a job application, addressing an erroneous billing charge or a tax issue.
- Intermediate Assistance: Providing guidance, resources and assistance to Consumers encountering more involved situations, examples of which could include an eviction, marital or family issues, mental health issues of a non-emergency nature or difficulty with a state or federal agency the outcome of which could have a significant impact on the Consumer.
- Emergency Assistance: Guidance, resources and assistance to Consumers encountering emergency situations, the outcome of which could be life threatening to the Consumer (or a family member of the Consumer), examples of which could include homelessness, physical or emotional abuse, potential suicide or a client facing immediate incarceration.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Staff:
Elizabeth Fechtmann-Crippen, Case Manager
Melissa Hawkins, Executive Director